Best HTML5 Editor for developers
We are leaving in the age of start-ups. In this era, the border between desktop and
mobile is rapidly fading away. Your users are expecting to get to the information
anywhere and anytime. What is the best way to provide content to the end-user
without limiting yourself to desktop or mobile?
HTML5 is the latest iteration of HTML. The HTML5 addresses the modern needs and expectations of websites. HTML5 has gained great attention in the last few years and still rules. Because the Internet is changing strongly, HTML5 is at the forefront of these notable changes. But in this article, we want to focus on HTML5 editors.
An HTML5 editor is a software application for drafting web pages. These editors
are not only limited to HTML5, but it also serves the purpose of writing and
notepad on our desktops. We can write our HTML5 code using those editors, but it
doesn`t provide us with enough features which will come handy once you start
writing some big blocks of code.
In this article, we will talk about the five most popular and commonly used HTML5 code editors.
Atom is a free and open-source text and source code editor for macOS, Linux, and
Microsoft Windows with support for plug-ins written in Node.js, and embedded Git
Control, developed by GitHub. Several extra features of ATOM such as find and
replace, smart auto-complete, spell-check that separates it from other code
Let me list out some of the distinctive features of Atom.
- Atom works across operating systems. You can use it on OS X, Windows, or Linux.
- Atom helps you write code faster with a smart and flexible autocomplete.
- You can use find, preview, and replace text as you type in a file or across all your projects.
- You can split your Atom interface into multiple panes to compare and edit code across files.
You can download atom from Atom website.
Sublime Text is a proprietary cross-platform source code editor with a Python
application programming interface. It is beginner friendly, and you can customize
almost any aspect of the sublime editor. Sublime’s best features embody its
philosophy of getting things done as quickly as possible. The Goto Anything feature
is a super convenient way to open files and instantly jump to particular lines,
words, or symbols. You can directly change multiple lines of code at one go with
Multiple selection options.
Let me list out some of the distinctive features of Sublime Text.
- Use Goto Anything to open files with only a few keystrokes, and instantly jump to symbols, lines or words.
- Sublime Text has a powerful, Python API that allows plug-ins to augment built-in functionality.
- Sublime Text is available for Mac, Windows and Linux. One license is all you need to use Sublime Text on every computer you own, no matter what operating system it uses.
- Make ten changes at the same time, not one change ten times. Multiple selections allow you to interactively change many lines at once, rename variables with ease, and manipulate files faster than ever.
- Get the most out of your wide screen monitor with split editing support. Edit files side by side, or edit two locations in the one file. You can edit with as many rows and columns as you wish.
Sublime Text is licensed software. However, you can download an evaluation version from sublime text website.
Brackets is a free source code editor with a primary focus on web development.
Brackets was founded by Adobe as a community guided, open source project to push
web development editors to the next level. It is free and open-source software
licensed under the MIT License and is currently maintained on GitHub by Adobe and
other open-sourced developers. One of the many features which Brackets has is a
live preview option which enables you to view the output of the code as and when it
is written, Great isn`t?
Let me list out some of the distinctive features of BRACKETS.
- Instead of jumping between file tabs, Brackets lets you open a window into the code you care about most.
- Brackets will show you all the CSS selectors with that ID in an inline window so you can work on your code side-by-side without any pop-ups.
- Get a real-time connection to your browser. Make changes to CSS and HTML and you'll instantly see those changes on screen.
- Work with pre processors in a whole new way. We know how important pre processors are to your workflow.
- With Brackets you can use Quick Edit and Live Highlight which will make working with them easier than ever.
You can download Brackets from Brackets website.
Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is a free and opensource code editor developed by Microsoft for
Windows, Linux, and macOS. It includes support for debugging, embedded Git control,
syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring.
Let me list out some of the distinctive features of VCODE.
- Go beyond syntax highlighting and auto-complete with IntelliSense, which provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules.
- Debug Code right from the editor. Launch or attach to your running apps and debug with break points, call stacks, and an interactive console.
- Want even more features? Install extensions to add new languages, themes, debuggers, and to connect to additional services.
- Extensions run in separate processes, ensuring they won`t slow down your editor.
- Review differences, stage files, and make commits right from the editor. It becomes very essential while working with GitHub.
You can download the Visual Studio Code from Microsoft Visual studio website.
Notepad++ is a text editor and source code editor for use with Microsoft Windows.
We consider it as a replacement for the default Microsoft Notepad text editor and
suggest that you must have it on your machine. You might want to use it as a code
editor for a variety of languages or just as a plain text editor. It supports
tabbed editing, which allows working with multiple open files in a single window.
As it is your basic notepad with some additional features, for some developers the
Notepad++ makes it simple to adapt and work on.
Let me list out some of the distinctive features of Notepad++.
- Syntax highlighting and syntax editing.
- Multi Language environment supported.
- Auto – Completion of words, functions and many other things.
- Launch with different arguments.
- Graphic User Interface (GUI) entirely customizable.
You can download the Notepad++ from the website.
Finally, there isn`t any best editor, the one who serves you purpose suits you the best. Each editor has their own plus points. It doesn`t really make a considerable amount of difference by which code editor you use for writing your code. Actually, when choosing a text editor, it comes down to a mix of personal preference and specific application. A back-end developer will need different tools than their front-end counterpart.